Monday, March 19, 2012

Miscellaneous Thought #1-Romantic Men

I was watching the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice the other day, and as I watched Mr. Darcy (the curiously charismatically attractive Matthew Macfadyen) literally glide across a dew kissed morning meadow, his leather coattails flapping behind him, a thought came to my mind. I wonder why men were so much more romantic back then. What an ignorant thought, huh? But seriously, bear with me. As I thought more and more about it, it dawned on me that every leading man in Jane Austen's novels, at some point, came from wealth or were headed for it. They had all the time in the world to smell flowers, take long romantic walks through forests and on sandy beaches. They could deliver eloquently written poetry and love letters on horseback, make a woman's heart stop beating with one smoldering gaze, or make her yearn for more with a brief gentle touch or kiss on her hand.
I don't know about you, but I don't get any of that at my house (other than the kissing on the hand, which my sweetie calls a "princess kiss"). Am I disappointed? To be frank, no I am not. If my dear husband wrote me a poem, it would be sweet and albeit, cheesy. I would love the effort and be grateful to him for his time and creativity. However, I would be a liar if I said that the same effect would occur for me if the man decided on his own to one day do the dishes (and just a disclaimer here, my husband actually vacuums our house more than I do, and does his own laundry on occasion, so I'm not complaining, just making a point).
So here's the funny part about our version of romantic men today. Sure, they still can write poetry or a song, bring us hand picked flowers and initiate a cute make out session. But the problem we have today with Austen-esque romance is not the fault of either the man or the woman. It's the sheer robbery of time. Unless you are wealthy, royalty or a celebrity, I am pretty sure that the longest honeymoon you could afford or do, would be at most two weeks. Mine was a few days. Life had to go on, and we couldn't afford to "live on love" as my father puts it, because bills had to be paid. Does that mean that romantic men don't exist? Of course they do!
Unless we make time for it, we don't have time to be romantic like a Jane Austen novel, or part of the Twilight series. In the real world, there's work to be done, children to raise, houses to clean and bills to pay. I honestly think that unless there were some time consuming activities to do back in Jane Austen's time, spending 24 hours a day, seven days a week canoodling with my Mr. Darcy would ultimately lead to boredom. What? With sexy Mr. Darcy? Yes, even with him.
And what about other iconic "romantic leading men"? I would think the same would happen with dear Edward (just think-no sunny vacations, EVER), or Jacob (two words ladies, WOLF HAIR). Let's face it, ladies, even though "real" men aren't nearly as exciting as a wolf, bloodsucker or extremely wealthy landowner, we are lucky to have the ones that change diapers and play with the kids, work hard both at work and at home, let us sleep in, and still offer occasionally to take us to see "Pride and Prejudice" on the big screen with (minimal) complaining.
SO, now that I've sounded off on this topic, what do you have to say about it?

3 comments:

  1. Melissa you are a genius! I have never thought about this whole issue like this! I love ther perspective....and the writing too haha! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Melissa. I'm impressed. You are a great writer! It's witty, flows well, keeps my attention and funny! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! This is going to be FUN!!

    ReplyDelete