Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Motherhood Thought #1-My Job

Before I became a mommy, I was working 40 hours a week at a bank, and spending an additional 30 hours a week with a church responsibility, helping the youth. I complained that my house wasn't clean, and that I didn't have time to read a book. My husband and I almost always spent the weekends eating out and watching the latest movies. Our lives were very full and busy, and I looked forward to the day when I could be a stay at home mom, and not have to "work" anymore. Boy, was I stupid.
Now, I don't even count my working hours, because I'm pretty sure that the only break I get, if my boss isn't teething or sick, is a good night's sleep. No lunch break, and honestly, not even a bathroom break (I almost typed "potty break", but I stopped myself). Some of you are probably thinking, what about nap time? Ha, that's funny, because that's the only time that I have to frantically throw in a few loads of laundry, do the dishes, and then if I'm lucky, I get to sit down on my couch and stare at the wall for a few brief minutes before my boss yells from her room, "Mama!!"
It's a funny experience, raising a human being. There are so many dimensions to it that it's hard to cover them all. So, I decided that I would cover my favorite ones.
When my husband and I first got married, we had an interesting adjustment period. We were different from other newlyweds, because my husband was from Brazil, and moved to America just in time for our wedding. So, not only was I a wife, but a tour guide, and an English tutor. I had to show my husband some of the things that were different here, so that he could become adjusted. Now, ten years later, his English is nearly perfect (and yes, I nearly cried with pride every time I would proofread his school papers, because due to my OCD nature of spelling and grammar, it rubbed off on him and now his writing is immaculate). But now, I no longer need to be a tour guide or a tutor to him, because he is now a seasoned veteran of how things roll here in America. Now, why did I go off on that tangent? It's because I am explaining my first favorite thing to do as mom. I am my daughter's tour guide and tutor, and I LOVE it. It's even better than when I did it for my husband, because she's fascinated at every little thing, and it makes every day so exciting. There's something about showing my daughter the beauties of the world that makes me see the wonders again through her eyes. I had gotten so used to seeking out entertainment through more conventional means, like a cinema, but now I have grown to appreciate the excitement of going to the park, or the grocery store. Everyone should see the world the way that my daughter sees it, and then simple things would be fun and exciting again.
Is it worth it? To be a "stay at home" employee? Absolutely. I love my boss, my hours are long and arduous, but at the end of the day, when I snuggle with my little monkey princess, I look into those sweet brown eyes and scandalously long lashes, and thank the Lord that I get to do the best job out there.
So, here's my question to all of you moms: what's your favorite part of "Motherhood"?
Oh, and P.S. I did finally find time to read a book all of the way through. If only I could finish writing one of my books (sigh).

1 comment:

  1. So true Mel! Great post.

    My favorite part is when Nolan wakes up every morning it's like he is seeing me for the first time. He jumps up and down and gives me the worlds biggest smile. It melts my heart!!!

    I could have the worst day in the world, but when he flashes me a smile and looks at me with his beautiful eyes, all the cares in the world melt away.

    ReplyDelete